Hello sweet cheeks!! I know it’s been quite a while since I've posted anything substantial but I promise you this post will totally make up for the long hiatus I've taken! To start, I’d like to dedicate this post to Annemarie Iverson; Harper’s Bazaar wonder girl, and her amazing book “In Fashion”. Definitely a must read for anyone who wants to make their mark on the fashion world.
|In my free time, I like to casually drop by Versace's fashion show and walk side by side Donetella. photoshop is fun :D|
So you want to be the world’s next greatest fashionista? Have you been dreaming of sharing a table with the likes of Liz TIlberiz and Anna Wintour as you strike out in the world of fashion editorials? Do you intend to follow in the footsteps of stars like Marc Jacobs and have Celebrity A-listers wear one of your evening gown creations? Maybe you’re the type that wants nothing more in life than to apply makeup for runway models or create the next trendy hairstyle. Or maybe you see yourself ON the runway! Are you the next Kate Moss , Miranda Kerr or Tyra Banks? Do you crave to be IN FASHION?
A good way to start would be to touch base with the fashion world and get both feet through the door. Sounds Easy doesn't it? With the age of modernism and the internet making it much easier for you to live you dream as a style critic, anyone can be a fashionista. Lets say you want to be a model and you live in New York. You could simply walk over to Ford Models( If you don't know who Ford Models is, you shouldn't be a model or be anything involved in fashion for that matter!) during the days when they have their weekly open calls. But how does one break in to the biz? Fashion doesn't has a sure fire way. You will have to navigate through hell and back but the rewards when you reach the "Promised Land" is aplenty. Whether you want to be a designer, magazine editor or model; with passion, persistence, talent AND PROPER GUIDANCE, you will find your way. I hope you enjoy my first installment of FASHION 101 Part 1: A dummy's guide to the fashion world !
Step one) Know Thyself before thy enemy! What are you really like underneath all those layers of fabric and concealer? To really find out where in the fashion industry you belong, you need to first discover your inner fashionista! .You’re either a Creator, Visualizer, Critic or Seller! To help, here’s a 35-part fashion aptitude test to see where you might best fit in the ephemeral, glamorous and (completely) exhausting world of fashion! Count how many A,B,C and Ds you have and At the end of the survey, you'll be able to find out which fashion tribe you were born into!
· WORD THAT BEST DESCRIBES YOU:
1. A. OUTRAGEOUS
2. B. SENSITIVE
3. C. INSIGHTFUL
4. D. INGENIOUS
· AS A CHILD, YOU MOST LIKED:
1. A. PERFORMING
2. B. DRAWING
3. C. READING
4. D. SOCIALIZING
· PERSONALITIES WHOSE BIOGRAPHIES YOU’D MOST WANT TO READ:
1. A. KARL LAGERFELD, OSCAR WILDE, PRINCESS DIANA, STEPHEN SPROUSE
2. B. LEONARDO DA VINCI, ANDY WARHOL, LOU REED, LEE MILLER
3. C. DIANA VREELAND, NORA EPHRON, CARMEL SNOW, CLARE BOOTHE LUCE
4. D. DONALD TRUMP, NICCOLÓ MACHIAVELLI, J.P. MORGAN, WARREN BUFFETT, DIANE VON FURSTENBERG
· EXPRESSION YOU MOST OVERUSE:
1. A. “HEAVEN”
2. B. “COOL”
3. C. “GENIUS”
4. D. “PERFECT”
· PERSON YOU’D MOST LIKE TO HANG OUT WITH:
1. A. SOFIA COPPOLA
2. B. KATE MOSS
3. C. CHRISTIANE AMANPOUR
4. D. MADONNA
· ON SUMMER BREAKS DURING HIGH SCHOOL, YOU WERE MOST LIKELY TO BE:
1. A. STARRING IN A SUMMER STAGE PRODUCTION
2. B. DEVELOPING BLACK-AND-WHITE PRINTS FOR A PHOTOGRAPHY CLASS
3. C. WINNING THE PRIZE FOR THE MOST BOOKS READ AT THE PUBLIC LIBRARY
4. D. RUNNING A LEMONADE STAND BY DAY AND BABYSITTING BY NIGHT
· HISTORIC PERSONALITY YOU’D MOST LIKE TO MEET:
1. A. MARIE ANTOINETTE
2. B. JOAN OF ARC
3. C. QUEEN ELIZABETH I
4. D. CATHERINE THE GREAT
· YOUR BIGGEST WEAKNESS:
1. A. MEETING DEADLINES
2. B. MAKING CONVERSATION
3. C. BEING IMPATIENT
4. D. LETTING GO
· WHAT YOU VALUE MOST:
1. A. ORIGINALITY
2. B. CREATIVITY
3. C. TRUTH
4. D. RESULTS
· IF FORCED TO PLAY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SOCIAL SPORTS, YOU’D CHOOSE:
1. A. BOWLING
2. B. CROQUET
3. C. TENNIS
4. D. SQUASH
· YOUR FACEBOOK HABIT:
1. A. YOU SOMETIMES FORGET YOU’RE SIGNED UP.
2. B. YOU LOG ON ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK WHEN YOU HAVE DOWNTIME.
3. C. YOU COMPULSIVELY SIGN IN EVERY MORNING TO CHECK FLAGGED PHOTOS FROM LAST NIGHT’S PARTIES AND FILM OPENINGS.
4. D. YOU USE IT AS A RESEARCH TOOL, TO VET POTENTIAL NEW HIRES OR LEARN MORE ABOUT FUTURE CLIENTS.
· BAD QUALITIES PEOPLE SOMETIMES ASCRIBE TO YOU:
1. A. THAT YOU’RE IN OUTER SPACE, UNCONNECTED TO DAILY LIFE, A TOTAL DREAMER
2. B. THAT YOU ARE UNRESPONSIVE, INARTICULATE, LAZY
3. C. THAT YOU ARE UNFEELING, INSENSITIVE, JUDGMENTAL
4. D. THAT YOU’RE ALWAYS “ON,” TOO AGGRESSIVE, AND LACKING IN BASIC HUMAN VALUES
· YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO LOSE TRACK OF TIME WHEN YOU ARE:
1. A. MAKING SOMETHING
2. B. WATCHING SOMETHING
3. C. READING SOMETHING
4. D. PLANNING SOMETHING
· TRUTH ABOUT PETS:
1. A. MY LITTLE DOG COMES WITH ME EVERYWHERE.
2. B. I LOVE ANIMALS, BUT I’M ALLERGIC.
3. C. I LOVE CATS BECAUSE THEY HAVE EVOLVED PERSONALITIES AND ARE LOW MAINTENANCE.
4. D. I TRAVEL TOO MUCH TO HAVE A PET.
· FAVORITE WAY TO SOCIALIZE:
1. A. GO OUT, DROPPING BY AS MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF PARTIES AS POSSIBLE, ENDING UP AT DINNER AT 11 P.M. AT A COOL RESTAURANT WITH A BIG GROUP OF OLD AND NEW FRIENDS.
2. B. INVITE A FEW CLOSE FRIENDS OVER FOR A LOW-KEY DINNER AT HOME, THEN WATCH A NEW-RELEASE FILM TOGETHER.
3. C. STAGE A DINNER PARTY WITH HEADY CONVERSATION AND AN INTERESTING MIX OF GUESTS.
4. D. ATTEND A FEW IMPORTANT COCKTAIL PARTIES, THEN INVITE A GROUP OF BUSINESS FRIENDS TO DINE AT A GOOD TABLE AT A HOT RESTAURANT.
· ALWAYS IN YOUR POSSESSION:
1. A. PASHMINA OR CASHMERE SWEATER
2. B. BRUSH, LINT REMOVER
3. C. NEW YORKER, LIP BALM
4. D. ELECTRONIC AGENDA, MONEY
· WHEN SOMEONE COMPLIMENTS YOU, YOU FEEL:
1. A. ENERGIZED
2. B. EMBARRASSED
3. C. DESERVING
4. D. SUSPECTING THAT THERE MUST BE AN UNDERLYING MOTIVE
· IN HIGH SCHOOL, YOU ARE VOTED:
1. A. MOST LIKELY TO BE FAMOUS
2. B. MOST LIKELY TO TRAVEL TO FARAWAY PLACES
3. C. MOST LIKELY TO RULE THE WORLD
4. D. MOST LIKELY TO BE A BILLIONAIRE
· IN RELATIONSHIPS, YOU:
1. A. TEND TO BE THE MORE DOMINANT PARTNER, LOOKING FOR ADULATION, SUPPORT, AND STRUCTURE
2. B. SEEK TO FIND YOUR CREATIVE EQUAL AND WOULD RATHER STAY SINGLE THAN COMPROMISE THIS VISION
3. C. WANT AN ACCOMPLISHED MATE, BUT ONE WHO HAS SUCCEEDED IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT FIELD, LIKE FINANCE, ARCHITECTURE, OR MEDICINE, SO YOU DON’T GET COMPETITIVE WITH HIM OR HER
4. D. LOVE TO GO OUT WITH DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEOPLE, BUT YOU HAVE A HARD TIME COMMITTING
· YOUR DREAM WORKSPACE:
1. A. IT IS NOT A TRADITIONAL OFFICE BUT RATHER AN OPEN SPACE, WITH THE WALLS FILLED WITH INSPIRATION BOARDS; THERE’S MUSIC PLAYING, PEOPLE ARE COMING AND GOING, AND THERE’S A NICE BUZZ.
2. B. I HATE OFFICES.
3. C. IT’S A TIDY CORNER OFFICE, WITH WHITE BARCELONA CHAIRS AND FRESH FLOWERS.
4. D. IT’S A WAR ROOM BRIMMING WITH CHARTS AND PRESENTATION MATERIALS.
· RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR MOTHER:
1. A. SHE’S SUPPORTIVE AND INSPIRING.
2. B. SHE’S PRACTICAL AND LIKES TO NURTURE ME.
3. C. SHE’S PROUD OF ME, BUT SHE KNOWS I’M TOO BUSY TO CHITCHAT.
4. D. SHE COMPLAINS THAT I DON’T HAVE A LIFE.
· RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR FATHER:
1. A. HE’S PROUD OF ME, BUT HE’S NOT THAT INVOLVED.
2. B. WE’RE A LOT ALIKE.
3. C. HE’S THE ONE WHO PUSHES AND ENCOURAGES ME.
4. D. SADLY, HE DOESN’T HAVE MUCH FAITH IN ME.
· RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR IPHONE:
1. A. YOU LIKE MAKING VIDEOS AND TEXTING FRIENDS BUT KEEP LOSING IT.
2. B. YOU USE THE CAMERA AND E-MAIL CAPABILITIES MUCH MORE THAN THE PHONE ITSELF.
3. C. WHEN NOT AT YOUR DESK, IT’S YOUR LIFELINE: YOU KEEP LISTS, JOT NOTES, TAKE CALLS, AND WRITE E-MAILS.
4. D. IT’S NEVER OUT OF HAND, AND THE RINGER IS NEVER SILENCED, BUT YOU ACTUALLY PREFER YOUR BLACKBERRY.
· BIGGEST INFLUENCES ON YOUR LIFE:
1. A. YVES SAINT LAURENT OR VALENTINO
2. B. HELMUT NEWTON OR RICHARD AVEDON
3. C. ANNA WINTOUR OR LIZ TILBERIS
4. D. CALVIN KLEIN OR BERNARD ARNAULT
· IF YOU COULD GO BACK AND DO ONE THING DIFFERENTLY, YOU’D HAVE:
1. A. CONTINUED WITH PIANO LESSONS
2. B. CONTINUED WITH FRENCH LESSONS
3. C. LEARNED TO COOK SOME BASIC MEALS
4. D. TAKEN MORE HISTORY AND ART CLASSES
· SECTION OF THE SUNDAY PAPER YOU FIRST WANT TO READ:
1. A. ARTS
2. B. STYLE
3. C. NEWS
4. D. BUSINESS
· THE BEST DESCRIPTION OF YOUR CLOSET:
1. A. THIS IS ONE AREA OF MY LIFE WHERE I CANNOT BEAR CLUTTER —I LIMIT MYSELF TO ONE HALF-EMPTY RACK OF CLOTHES.
2. B. IT IS ENDLESS, AND ITS CONTENTS SPILL OUT INTO EVERY INCH OF MY PERSONAL SPACE.
3. C. OUTFITS ARE ORGANIZED BY DAY, WITH SHOES AND EXTRAS ATTACHED TO THE HANGERS.
4. D. CURRENT SEASON IS FRONT AND CENTER; LAST SEASON IS PUSHED TO THE BACK.
· CLASS YOU LEAST WANTED TO SKIP:
1. A. HOME ECONOMICS
2. B. ART
3. C. ENGLISH
4. D. ECON
· KIND OF CAR YOU PICTURE YOURSELF DRIVING:
1. A. RESTORED ANTIQUE ASTON MARTIN OR CITROËN
2. B. JEEP OR URBAN SUV
3. C. MERCEDES
4. D. PORSCHE
· YOUR PREFERRED HIGH SCHOOL EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY:
1. A. DRAMA OR GLEE CLUB
2. B. YEARBOOK OR SPORTS TEAMS
3. C. DEBATE TEAM OR SCHOOL NEWSPAPER
4. D. PROM COMMITTEE OR STUDENT COUNCIL
· SECTION OF A TABLOID PAPER YOU FIRST WANT TO READ:
1. A. GOSSIP
2. B. HOROSCOPES
3. C. “MEDIA INK”
4. D. “MADISON AVENUE”
· ON YOUR BEDSIDE TABLE WHEN YOU GO TO SLEEP AT NIGHT:
1. A. SKETCHBOOK
2. B. FRENCH VOGUE
3. C. NOTEPAD
4. D. WOMEN’S WEAR DAILY
· RECURRING NIGHTMARE:
1. A. YOU ARE DROWNING IN A SEA OF TULLE.
2. B. YOU ARE FROZEN SPEECHLESS IN FRONT OF A LARGE GROUP OF EXPECTANT PEOPLE.
3. C. YOU ARE WALKING DOWN A FASHION RUNWAY NUDE.
4. D. A SERIES OF OBSTACLES PREVENTS YOU FROM REACHING YOUR OFFICE OR SCHOOL FOR A BIG MEETING OR EXAM.
· YOUR FANTASY WAY TO SHOP:
1. A. YOU SHOP AT VINTAGE COUTURE AUCTIONS, ESTATE SALES, AND EUROPEAN FLEA MARKETS.
2. B. YOU SHOP AT SHOWROOMS AND SAMPLE SALES TO ACQUIRE UNIQUE PIECES THAT WERE DESIGNED BUT NEVER PRODUCED.
3. C. YOU PREORDER READY-TO-WEAR WITH DESIGNER SHOWROOMS AND THEN FILL IN YOUR WARDROBE USING EDITORIAL DISCOUNTS AT PRADA, DIOR, AND GUCCI.
4. D. YOUR TRUSTED PERSONAL SHOPPER IDENTIFIES TEN TO TWELVE CURRENT SEASON LOOKS AND FOUR CURRENT SEASON EVENING LOOKS WITH SHOES, BAGS, AND ACCESSORIES.
· AFTER YOU’VE LEFT AN EVENT, YOU TEND TO BEST REMEMBER:
1. A. THE OVERALL MOOD, COLORS, FABRICS, SMELLS, TASTES
2. B. ONE AMAZING OR NOVEL THING
3. C. NAMES DROPPED AND CATCHPHRASES SPOKEN
4. D. SPECIFIC NUMBERS OR MARKET TRENDS REVEALED IN CONVERSATION
If you had mostly As, it means you were born to be a Creator! Sounds cool right ?! Creators are essentially fashion designers and their court. They are at the center of the fashion universe(tough luck writers :3) which all other fashion-related objects orbit . You belong to the likes of household names such as Alexander Wang, Marc Jacobs, Oscar De La Renta, Alexander Mcqueen, Hedi Slimane and many other distinguished fashion heavy weights that shake the very earth with a simple snap of their fingers .
|if you can't identify atleast 4 out of the 7 people here, you should probably close your browser.. now.....|
|The geniuses behind Dolce and Gabanna (pronounced Dol-che & Gab-bah-Nah)|
|Legendary British designer Vivienne Westwood . Doing god knows what.|
|Mr Yves Saint Laurent(pronounced EVs- Saiee-lau-Rhaunt) back in the day|
You should strive to be a successful designer with his/her own label that regularly shows its collection for each fashion week. Either that or you get employed by a synonymous fashion label(lets say,Gucci?) to helm the creative aspect of their business and take over as the next creative director to spearhead the brand towards Fash-Un greatness!
General Personality traits of a Creator: Most Creators are extroverts( no Shit Sherlock! ) , outgoing and love material comforts. As a creator, you yearn for constant reaffirmation from others of your talent. Unpredictable and spontaneous, You detest criticism. You Live off of being the center of attention and are extremely verbal, having the ability to express yourself in powerful ways. Use your Fashion Powers Wisely.... Your earnings will range from $ to $$$$$!!!!
More Bs than any other answer means you possess the capabilities of a Visualizer(lol, like projector visualizers? nah!) Visualizers Bring Fashion to life with their usage of mediums like Photography, make up and/or hair. Visualizers are the photographers, illustrators, models, hair stylists and make up artists. Your job as a visualizer is to capture the imagination of the public through your editorials and advertisements. To quote "In fashion", "You visuals will either inspire or scandalize." You stand among-st people like Mario Testoni, Toni & Guy, Kate Moss, Up and coming Cara Delevingne and a truckload more of hyper-talented folks all over the world!
General Personality traits of a Visualizer: By nature, You are introspective and tend to be quiet. Hypersensitive to criticism, you blame yourself for any negative comments you might get. You work best when goals or expectations aren't imposed on you. Your EQ (emotional Intelligence Quotient) will Surpass your IQ and you are extremely loyal to your clique (this is important for visualizers in the future ! READ part 2 to find out more!) Your Zen-like Calm brings people close to you while your love for travel and the hunger to experience new landscapes makes u an interesting person. Now there, aren't you the creative one? Your earnings will be from $ to $$$$ You're real life earnings, if lets say you work as a signed photographer for magazine juggernauts like Vogue, could potentially be $12k a week? Just think of how loaded Tommy ton is! It really depends on your street cred.
If Cs make up a majority of your choices, you were destined to be a Critic! (I'M A CRITIC BTW!! CRITICS FTW!!) The Critics tribe is probably the most predictable one out of the four. While creators create , Critics are those who have opinions about Creators and their creations. They express themselves through magazine editorials, television and my personal favorite, the internet :3 As a critic, you comment about everything under the sun and always want to educate others as you go along. The Critics are your editor-in-chiefs like legendary Diana Vreeland, Anna Wintour, Liz Tilberiz and of course your's truly :3 You should aspire to work with likes of magazines such as VOGUE, W, Elle, Harper's Bazaar and W.
Personality traits of a Critic: A Direct and Frank person, you love learning and communicating what you've learnt to others in new and creative ways. Competition is your "red bull" (TRUE THAT!) . Highly verbal, you are a born leader and possess the ability to connect the dots to see the bigger picture. You dream of the day when your name is on print or on a door( SOOOO TRUE!). You're super power is the ability to process HUGE amounts of information effortlessly*flips hair* and recall it all after just one glance at a person or a picture. Basically you're awesome :D Your earnings will range from $ to $$$ . Although your not INSANELY RICH or rolling in the MULLAH, you'll get incredibly discounted (if not free) designer clothes/shoes/accessories/ anything fashion related, access to exclusive events/parties/ movie premiers etc. What's more, you get top level up-close-and-personal access to celebrities and international A-listers! its the high life baby!
More Ds than the rest Means that you possess the fire and tenacity of a Seller! This Fashion Tribe is by far the most versatile and encompasses working retail, selling ads in mags, pr management, merchandising and selling. According to Annemarie Iverson, you're something like a Fashion Unicorn . You can distinguish between creativity and business, which is paramount if you want to make it in today's market. You walk in the footsteps of people like Bernard Arnault,Patrizio Betelli and Robert Duffy .You're basically a fashionista with a killer Business acumen !
Personality Of a Seller: You're awesome with money management! Born with thick skin, you don't get discouraged by rejection or refusals easily. In fact you feel motivated to prove these people otherwise. Rational thinking is your secret weapon. You are ambitious and look sleek, spotless and fabulous 24/7 all day , everyday! You work out a lot. Basically, you're a businessman/woman who knows that fashion is at its core, still a business. Your earnings will range from $ to $$$$$!!!! Thats alot of CASH!!!
FOR those who belong to half of each tribe (lets say half creator half visualizer), there are special personality traits for you as well! but I'll write more about it in part 2 of Fashion 101 !! So Now that you're familiar with the tribes and which you belong to, it will be easier to see which fashion occupation your personality suits best as well as the recommended path to greatness (according to Annemarie Iverson) . The trouble is that I don't have the time to type out an entire guide for each and every fashion tribe so I've split the Fashion 101s into parts.
Each part will explain how to get started in different fields like photography or design, the appropriate educational paths as well as useful tips to secure and maintain the job. Essentially, each part explains a career guide so watch this space for "PART 2: SUCCEED AS A CREATOR" soon!
New York Fashion week Has just begun and I'm too damn busy to report any of them -.- Hopefully after my exams, My schedule will free up and I'll be able to write more nonsense for your pleasure. Thank you for continuing to read my articles and I hope You have a great week ahead. Write in to me at email@example.com if you have any fashion career questions and I'll try and help you answer them to the best of my ability ASAP! For all those muggers out there cramping in to study for their End of years, GAMBATE!!!
Do what you love and the money will follow- Karen Miller.