Monday 5 November 2012

Is Gaga Packing on the Pounds?

As of now, the media is trying to paint a less than rosy picture of Lady Gaga's tremendous 13+ Kg weight gain over the past 3-4 months and this is what the Grand Dame of Pop had to say for herself as seen on her official website ,  "Today I join the BODY REVOLUTION. To Inspire Bravery. And BREED some m$therf**king COMPASSION. This profile is an extension of that dream. Be brave and celebrate with us your 'perceived flaws,' as society tells us. May we make our flaws famous, and thus redefine the heinous,”  However inspiring her preach for self love may be, our Mother Monster will eventually have to face the paparazzi about "increasingly curvy" body. 
As you can see, she clearly isn't born that way. Look at the drastic increase in body mass !!!
The 26 year old songbird gained 25 pounds (an equivalent of 13 Kg)  over the months and claims the Italian food she has been consuming is the main culprit. Says Gaga during an intervie“I’m dieting right now, because I gained, like, 25 pounds. And you know I really don’t feel bad about it, not even for a second. I have to be on such a strict diet constantly. It’s hard because it’s a quite vigorous show, so I tend to bulk up, get muscular, and I really don’t like that. So I’m trying to find a new balance.”   

Atleast this finally puts to rest the pregnancy scare churned by the rumor mill when gaga was photographed sporting what appeared to look like a "baby Bump" .

 “I love eating pasta and pizza,” she explained. “I’m a New York Italian girl. That’s why I have been staying out of New York. My father opened a restaurant. It’s so amazing…it’s so freaking delicious, but I’m telling you I gain five pounds every time I go in there. So my dad wants me to eat at the restaurant, and I’m, like, I’ve got to go where I can drink green juice.”


The reigning mistress of pop is by no means fat/ obese. Its just the drastic increase of her body mass that has people startled and concerned. Her curvaceous body now defined by her more fuller build. Even so,  we cannot discard the times when people condemned her for being "too skinny" . It's a pity because no matter what move she makes, she will inevitably get beaten down by critics.   

With her packing on the pounds, one cannot help but compare our mother monster's predicament with that of Adele's. True enough, Gaga questioned why people throw backlashes against her but never mention anything when it comes to the British singer And now cries foul that tabloids slam her for weight gain but not Adele.

Personally, its because Adele's image as an artist is set on the backdrop of her deriving her confidence from her healthy state of mind about her body. She's comfortable in her own skin and that's what makes Adele so marketable . In addition, Gaga needs to see this as retribution for insulting the 21 century's queen of soul. If you can recall, she heavily criticized Adele for her lack of effort to lose weigh despite being in an industry where everyone is expected to look prime and perfect. 

Adele-1  , Gaga-0
With songs like "born this way" and "hair" , she revolutionized the notion of self love and acceptance for people of different groups (esp. the gay community) . Irregardless of her shortcomings, Lets pay homage to Gaga and cut her some slack, even she needs some comfort food ever once and awhile.  Let's just hope she doesn't run her mouth about this any time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment